Another delicious recipe from our September 2022 Flare Fires Demonstration Day.
These Bao Buns are a warm, light and fluffy treat with a honey, chilli and garlic chicken filling. With this marinated chicken, infused with smoke, garnished with a glazing sauce, this makes for an ideal entree or light snack.
Recipe and cook by: Tattooed Butcher
Ingredients (Makes 10-12 Bao Buns)
- 1kg boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 12 x bao buns
- 2 x grated carrots
- 1 x red onion finely sliced
- 20g fresh coriander chopped up
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp cracked pepper
- 4 x cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- Sriracha sauce (Optional)
- 1 cup reduced salt soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Method for Glazing sauce- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir every minute or so then cool in the fridge overnight.
- Add your boneless skinless chicken thighs into a bag or container and marinate overnight with your soy sauce, honey, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Heat your fire on a medium temperature then place your marinated chicken on the grill rack above the fire. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side.
- Warm your glazing sauce for 60 seconds in the microwave.
- Heat your bao buns either in the microwave or steam them.
- Remove the chicken once cooked. Slice and add into a deep dish then poor your glazing sauce over the top.
- Add your grated carrot, sliced onion, chicken and fresh coriander into your bao bun and serve. Enjoy!